Nakajima G8N1 Renzan ‘Rita’
I thought I’d throw my hat into the ring now, even though it’ll likely be five or six weeks before I can get to start it. I have several other projects in the pipeline ahead of this one, so don’t expect any further updates for a while!
There’s a bit of a back story to this particular kit. On my first tour of this hobby, back when Pontius was a pilot, I was about ten or eleven years old, and used to go to Saturday morning cinema club. British members of a certain age will remember that. On my way to the bus stop I used to pass a newsagent who often had a small selection of kits in the display window. Well, one day this one appeared.
It was love at first sight. The problem was I had to fund my hobby out of my meagre pocket money allowance, and this was really big league money, way above my childhood budget. Single-engine fighters were my staple diet, the only big kits came as Christmas or birthday presents.
Even so, I scrimped and saved for months, hoping to gather the funds, until the dreadful day I passed by the window and it had gone! Cue ten-year-old tears! From that day to this, I never saw another example of this kit until a couple of months back, just after I had returned to the hobby.
I was browsing on eBay and this turned up. So determined was I to get it I put a maximum bid of £500.00! That kit was MINE, and NOBODY else was going to get it!
Now, here I am, over fifty years later, with my childhood dream kit in my stash, and this group is the perfect excuse to bump it up the build list.
Can anyone remember when multi-lingual instructions were ‘new?’
With the exception of the Lancaster, I built all of these Frog kits when I was a kid.
Accurate historical reference shots are hard to come by, and since I have no interest in building captured examples, of any subject, I will trust Frog on the colour scheme, and do the orange and black scheme.
As an aside, I also set a self-imposed restriction that I would only build subjects that saw actual combat, rather than prototypes like the Gotha 229, or design proposals that never actually flew, like the Me-262 night-fighter. However, in this case I’m making an exception, simply because it’s a cherished memory from my childhood.
Somehow this box ended up with two sets of decals, though both of them look like they’ve seen better days. I may try one on some plastic card, to see how they behave, but I guess I’ll have to look up an aftermarket set.
The ‘new’ multi-lingual instructions are very basic, consisting of just one, very yellow and aged, sheet.
I’m reluctant to do any runner shots as I can see quite a few loose parts floating in the bag, and I don’t want to risk losing any before starting the build.
There is very little in the way of aftermarket stuff for this kit. Quickboost do resin exhausts, and I’ll replace the weapons with aftermarket ones too, since the kit ones resemble broom-handles.
Other than that, apart from some scratch-building to enhance the cockpit and wheel-well areas, this will be an OOB build.
I have to admit, I haven’t looked forward to a build so much in ages!