Been busy this last week, sorting out dad’s belongings, getting estate agents involved, selling things, eBay listings and… well, it’s all been a bit of a handful, as I’m sure anyone else who’s been through this will understand. However, when time allows, modelling, as does life, goes on!
As mentioned in the previous post, I elected to fit the engine cowlings to the nacelles before attaching the wings. Firstly, I surface-trued the mating surfaces of both the cowling and nacelle with a large, broad Flory sanding stick, to get the best chance of a gap-free fit, then used extra-thin to attach them.
Leaving them to dry, I turned to the tail assembly, and a rather strange bit of burring. It doesn’t really show in the pic, but a couple of the recessed panel lines actually had a bit of raised burring on them, something I have not come across before on any other kits.
So I carefully sanded the burr flush, then re-scribed the panel lines, using Dymo tape as a guide.
A few small raised EJP’s needed to be removed before the horizontal stabilisers would sit flat with each other, then the usual tet was applied.
As with the wings, there was some misalignment, due to poor part casting, but where the wings were minimal, this was horrendous!
A lot of sanding was required to neaten the trailing edge to a half-decent standard.
The fin and rudder sections were rather flashy, too, requiring further fettling. I’m not sure of the purpose of the elongated recessed scoop on the mating surface, but it did nothing to help with the fitting!
I seem to have misplaced a couple of pics here, or maybe I didn’t take them, but next came the outer tips of the horizontal stabiliser’s attachment to the fin and rudders.
Leaving the tail for the time being I returned to the wings, and, as feared, there were still some minor gaps around the cowlings. A smidge of Vallejo plastic putty took care of them.
A mix of plastic, resin and p.e. parts constituted the ingredients for the oil cooler scoops.
The kit’s plastic air intakes were bland, with no opening. Given their use of resin for the oil coolers I’m amazed Valom didn’t use resin here, too. Not liking the look of a flat face, I opened them out with a micro-burr and drill.
Big job next, attaching the wings. I did a lot of dry runs, trying to find the proper angles and the best lines, given the total lack of any accurate fitting guides. In the end I used good old Humbol liquid cement on the inner surface of the spars, and tet and c.a. on the mating faces. One wing at a time, leaving for several hours between, and propped up as shown, they came out pretty close.
Back to the tail, and the fin/rudder/tip assemblies were brought together with the horizontal stabilisers.
Unfortunately, there were some thin, wedge-shaped gaps on all the joins.
These were taken care of with some sniblets of plastic card.
Some filling and sanding later it’s still not perfect, as they’re tricky to get into, but at least they’re a lot less noticeable.
After being left a couple of days to fully cure, guess what? Yup, more gappage!
And just for added kicks and grins, after thinking the fuselage was all done, a ghost seam reared its ugly head.
More filling and sanding, using Revell Plasto Putty on the wing root and Mr Surfacer 1200 on the body, took care of both problems. While the fillers were going off I made a start on the canopy masking. First time with a Montex set, I’m not sure I like them. They don’t seem to stick as well as other makes that use the yellow Tamiya-style tape, especially on curved surfaces, as you can see on the turret. Still, it’s quicker than doing it all freehand.
With the tail unit attached, she’s now looking like an Albemarle!
Bit of filling and sanding needed on the join, and that’ll be done.
Once all the clear parts are masked and fitted it’ll be on to paint!