For the first stage in the weathering I’ll be using the Ammo Mig late Luftwaffe fighters set. I’ve had this set for absolutely ages, but this is the first build I’ve had the chance to use it.
Underside first, with the blue-grey pin wash.
Then the top-side, with the green-brown.
After clean-up with a cotton bud dampened with enamel thinners.
This was all then sealed in with several coats of Winsor & Newton matt UV varnish. Next came the chipping. Normally I do my chipping with an undercoat of Vallejo aluminium, but I wasn’t sure how the Hataka lacquers would react to being sprayed over an acrylic, so for this build I’m using a silver Prisma-pencil, tapped and rubbed on the wing root and along a few panel lines.
For the exhaust staining I laid down a very thin coat of Mr Surfacer primer, to give a grey outline, then followed it with Tamiya dark brown. I fitted the aftermarket resin exhausts next, but because they’re not designed for this kit, and because I had to scratch some sort of mount, they’re really sitting out a bit too far. But it’ll have to do, I’m not cutting it all about again to sink them a mill deeper in, that’s a sure-fire recipe for disaster! I did some other staining with gear oil wash from some of the hinges and panels, and the gun staining with 502 smoke.
Undercarriage assembled, with some fuse wire brake lines and gear oil wash.
I always tend to struggle a bit with the legs, trying to keep them straight and parallel, and not knock-kneed or bow-legged. But the Fw-190 comes from the factory with the legs canted in at a jaunty angle. If anything, this made it even harder to get them matched, as the kit isn’t a very positive fit at this point. It’s still not quite perfect, even after a lot of fiddling about with the t.e.t. and c.a. glue!
A bit of scratch-building here, as the kit D.F loop and antenna were a bit too fat for my liking, so I used some more in-scale fuse wire. There should also be an access step that pops out when the bird is on the ground. This was absent altogether, so I made one out of some plastic rod.
Antenna wire with Mig Ammo line.
Prop on, and she’s done!
Last of all, the ceremonial topping out of the box-art!
All in all, a very nice kit and an enjoyable build.