Genessis-Models

Genessis Models Survey

 

 

Genessis-Models
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Kit'n'Kaboodle

Avatar / Picture

Flight Lieutenant
Registered:
Posts: 981
Reply with quote  #16 
Thank you, Alain, it is mind-numbingly tedious, but hopefully the end result will be worth it.  Haven't done much this week, as I kicked off my first full week of retirement with a dose of man-flu!
__________________
[GMh06IOh] 
0
alainvandenbosch

Avatar / Picture

Flight Lieutenant
Registered:
Posts: 652
Reply with quote  #17 
Ah yes ... man-flu are the worst one !!! That's well known 😁😁😁
__________________
Alain [crazy]
Les Éboulements, QC, CANADA
0
Kit'n'Kaboodle

Avatar / Picture

Flight Lieutenant
Registered:
Posts: 981
Reply with quote  #18 

Sanding and scribing, sanding and scribing.  I finished the wings, upper and lower, at least the lines I wanted to do.  Some I left just as they were, mostly because there was some nice rivet and access panel detail I didn’t want to lose.

Then I turned to the two halves of the twin booms, and discovered that, on a dry fit, they didn’t match up very smoothly.  This turned out to be some sort of ejector marks right on the mating surfaces of the two halves.  Further inspection showed these peculiar marks on the central nacelle, too.  Not sure if they show up too clearly in the pics, but I made them go away with some more sanding.

m_20191113_152044.jpg 

There were also a fair number of surface scratches, due to lose parts sliding around in the box for 40+ years.

m_20191113_152115.jpg 

That’s all that’s left, after the wings.  Not much, really, I kept telling myself.

m_20191117_111840.jpg 

After several days of monotony, and a couple more with no work at all due to a streaming head cold, I needed a break from re-scribing.  I noticed the empty cannon shell chutes were just raised lines on the bodywork, so I took a 0.7 mm drill and opened them out.

m_20191117_111951.jpg  m_20191117_113711.jpg 

Then, just so as to feel like I had at least achieved something, I glued the two tail halves together.

m_20191117_132120.jpg 

At least I feel like it’s now coming together, a bit.

The two centre nacelle halves, sanded, scribed and polished, as best I can.

m_20191117_135611.jpg 

There’s a shed-load of re-scribing going on in this picture, not sure I ever fancy doing another one!

m_20191117_203504.jpg 

Tomorrow I’m going to have a go at losing all the sanding marks I couldn’t seem to polish out with some Alclad black primer/micro-filler, and see how that works.


__________________
[GMh06IOh] 
0
alainvandenbosch

Avatar / Picture

Flight Lieutenant
Registered:
Posts: 652
Reply with quote  #19 
Well you must be happy this step is over... you worked so hard. Can't wait to see the result once primed !!!
__________________
Alain [crazy]
Les Éboulements, QC, CANADA
0
Kit'n'Kaboodle

Avatar / Picture

Flight Lieutenant
Registered:
Posts: 981
Reply with quote  #20 
Thanks, Alain.  This primer is only a test, to see how it covers the scratches.  I'll still need to do a full primer once the main assembly is completed.  Once I have done the primer and sanded it back I'll be putting this build aside temporarily, so as to take part in the Flory Models 'Italian Job' SIG, before it finishes.  In other words, there'll be a new build thread appearing soon!
__________________
[GMh06IOh] 
0
Kit'n'Kaboodle

Avatar / Picture

Flight Lieutenant
Registered:
Posts: 981
Reply with quote  #21 

Next step, I wanted to do a test piece, to see how best to cover up the sanding scratches, so I used a coarse sanding stick on the inner surface of one wing half, doing some random sanding actions.

m_20191119_100045.jpg 

Then hit it with a coat of Alclad black primer/micro-filler.  Once dry, 24 hours later, I rubbed it with the green and white sanding stick, and got a very nice, smooth finish that did indeed seem to cover and fill the sanding marks.

m_20191119_100059.jpg 

Only slight problem was that, when applied to the one wing I had re-riveted, the rivets all disappeared!  It did seem a bit on the thick and heavy side, too.

m_20191119_100934.jpg 

To, hopefully, counteract this, I thinned the Alclad about 70/30% with Mr Hobby self-levelling thinners, then sprayed all of the rest of the major components.  I hadn’t re-riveted those yet anyway, but it did give a good finish once these too had been polished up with the green and white sanders, and all the scratches have nicely gone away.

m_20191119_121824.jpg 

Then for the last couple of days I’ve been re-riveting, till I am now about sick of the sight of Rosie the Riveter!

m_20191120_093707.jpg  m_20191120_130623.jpg  m_20191120_164056.jpg 

And for now, that’s it, since I’m temporarily putting this build to one side, so as to do the build I had originally planned for the Flory Models 'Italian Job' SIG.  Normal service will be resumed once that’s done!


__________________
[GMh06IOh] 
0
geoffih

Avatar / Picture

Sergeant
Registered:
Posts: 235
Reply with quote  #22 

Riveting is a real chore but I'm sure that it will be well worth it in the end, the parts you have done look really good.

A bit of a break from this build will probably be good though before you go [crazy][crazy]

Geoff.

__________________

On the bench -  Italeri 1/48 P-40K & Academy 1/72 F-8 Crusader 
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.