Genessis-Models

Genessis Models Survey

 

 

Genessis-Models
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 18      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next   »
Brundledonk

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 6,256
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brundledonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonD
I haven't got anything yet, but I'm waiting for a restock email on the cockpit and the paint masks, although I'm not that fussed on the paint masks, I can mask it myself ok. (It's not a WWII Bomber canopy!). I have the open exhaust nozzles in a shopping basket waiting for fundage. But I did have a look at the kit nozzles and they are very good so I might can them yet (NPI(no pun intended)). That's 43 bucks back in the pocket. I also put the interior (and probably the exterior) detail sets in the basket too.
Did you have the Aries for yours Pete? If so, did you paint the dials? Or trim them and put the colour PE on them. I think that Eduard PE IP and side panel colour panels look absolutely wicked!
The kit cans do look good, I would stick with them and save the money mate. I used some of the Eduard coloured etch for the IPs but painted the moulded detail on the side consoles on the Aires pit, the etch for those areas is nicely detailed but very 2 dimensional, the resin pit has all the buttons and switches moulded in Pete


Ahh yes, good point. Ok, I'll get the PE anyway and check it out and use the IP's, wouldn't be a bad thing to paint it either.


It's worth it for the front panels, not much of the big cockpit set fits so the Eduard "zoom" set will probably cover what you need, the BigEd set gives you a few frets for the cockpit, but the resin doesn't need most of it

Pete
0
Brundledonk

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 6,256
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonD
Re: A to B Conversion:
Yeah pretty much, and the jet finny bits at the cockpit end of the afterburner. Whatever they are called. lol I think the B has the ECM Pod joystick on the left hand side, if I remember correctly, the A it's flatter.

Yeah, it would be nice to use a set of cartographs on this, lol Anyway, I've got a while to think about that .... you haven't! haha.


Cool, I though it was the engines that were different and I've just had a look at my cockpit and it doesn't have the ECM POD joystick so it looks like it is an "A" pit

Pete
0
SimonD

Avatar / Picture

Group Captain
Registered:
Posts: 2,523
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brundledonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brundledonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonD
I haven't got anything yet, but I'm waiting for a restock email on the cockpit and the paint masks, although I'm not that fussed on the paint masks, I can mask it myself ok. (It's not a WWII Bomber canopy!). I have the open exhaust nozzles in a shopping basket waiting for fundage. But I did have a look at the kit nozzles and they are very good so I might can them yet (NPI(no pun intended)). That's 43 bucks back in the pocket. I also put the interior (and probably the exterior) detail sets in the basket too.
Did you have the Aries for yours Pete? If so, did you paint the dials? Or trim them and put the colour PE on them. I think that Eduard PE IP and side panel colour panels look absolutely wicked!
The kit cans do look good, I would stick with them and save the money mate. I used some of the Eduard coloured etch for the IPs but painted the moulded detail on the side consoles on the Aires pit, the etch for those areas is nicely detailed but very 2 dimensional, the resin pit has all the buttons and switches moulded in Pete


Ahh yes, good point. Ok, I'll get the PE anyway and check it out and use the IP's, wouldn't be a bad thing to paint it either.
It's worth it for the front panels, not much of the big cockpit set fits so the Eduard "zoom" set will probably cover what you need, the BigEd set gives you a few frets for the cockpit, but the resin doesn't need most of it Pete


Yeah course, resin cockpit comes with it's own Ip's, don't mind me, heavily medicated .. again! [wink]

__________________

Cheers, Simon.

On the bench:
Tamiya 1:32 F-4J Phantom "Marines"
Tamiya 1:32 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XVIe

0
Joe3571

Avatar / Picture

Flight Lieutenant
Registered:
Posts: 852
Reply with quote  #19 
Wow Simon I kind of jealous you get to have decals for your anti glare for nose and spine
__________________
Joseph E Johnson
0
SimonD

Avatar / Picture

Group Captain
Registered:
Posts: 2,523
Reply with quote  #20 
I was going to paint them Joe, what do you think? You'd use the decals instead? [smile]
__________________

Cheers, Simon.

On the bench:
Tamiya 1:32 F-4J Phantom "Marines"
Tamiya 1:32 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XVIe

0
Brundledonk

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 6,256
Reply with quote  #21 
I'm going to paint mine Simon, I have much better luck with paint than I do decals lol, the Phantom had black decals for them, but I went the paint route and it came out ok

Pete
0
SimonD

Avatar / Picture

Group Captain
Registered:
Posts: 2,523
Reply with quote  #22 
Yeah I'll do the same Pete. I think too many things can go wrong with the decals. I noticed in one of the aftermarket decal instructions said to paint them semi-gloss black. Does that mean the whole plane is painted semi-gloss? I really will study the thing a bit more today (just having my morning coffees etc now. lol)
__________________

Cheers, Simon.

On the bench:
Tamiya 1:32 F-4J Phantom "Marines"
Tamiya 1:32 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XVIe

0
SimonD

Avatar / Picture

Group Captain
Registered:
Posts: 2,523
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brundledonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonD
Re: A to B Conversion:
Yeah pretty much, and the jet finny bits at the cockpit end of the afterburner. Whatever they are called. lol I think the B has the ECM Pod joystick on the left hand side, if I remember correctly, the A it's flatter.

Yeah, it would be nice to use a set of cartographs on this, lol Anyway, I've got a while to think about that .... you haven't! haha.
Cool, I though it was the engines that were different and I've just had a look at my cockpit and it doesn't have the ECM POD joystick so it looks like it is an "A" pit Pete


It's actually the LANTIRN control stick on the Port panel. 
Good review here on the history of the kit, read it a couple of times. This was the review that had me ringing the store to change it to the F-15. lol
http://kits.kitreview.com/f1432rveiewdw_1.htm

__________________

Cheers, Simon.

On the bench:
Tamiya 1:32 F-4J Phantom "Marines"
Tamiya 1:32 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XVIe

0
Brundledonk

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 6,256
Reply with quote  #24 
I just had a read of that review, it was reviewed back in 2003, I didn't realise this release was that long ago. The fact that the weapons supplied in the kit require the cockpit to have the updated display and LANTIRN control stick in the back seat must explain why the Aires "B" cockpit is out of stock.
To be accurate with mine I would need to backdate the weapons and markings as it's got an early "A" pit in it, but I think I will just use the old artistic licence and see what turns out at the end. Also it looks like the 2010 version of me liked fully armed birds, because I opened up every hole underneath to hang the exploding stuff from lol !

Pete
0
Brundledonk

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 6,256
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonD
Yeah I'll do the same Pete. I think too many things can go wrong with the decals. I noticed in one of the aftermarket decal instructions said to paint them semi-gloss black. Does that mean the whole plane is painted semi-gloss? I really will study the thing a bit more today (just having my morning coffees etc now. lol)


I'm not sure, it may be that the paint had a semi gloss finish when it was fresh out of the paint shop, but I have a book on the F-14 and these things got pretty grungy pretty quick when they had been on operations out at sea, I know mine won't be accurate, but I really want a heavily weathered finish with a load of paint touch ups on it

Pete
0
SimonD

Avatar / Picture

Group Captain
Registered:
Posts: 2,523
Reply with quote  #26 
Yes so that means I can order the "B" cockpit and have it accurate. Which is in stock, excellent!
Now to wait for the fundage. lol
The Aries A was out of stock, probably because the B is the current pit as per the kit. Anyway, the pit is in the basket. lol

Crikey, that just kicked the shopping basket back over 500 bucks! lol
Expensive habit, this one.

__________________

Cheers, Simon.

On the bench:
Tamiya 1:32 F-4J Phantom "Marines"
Tamiya 1:32 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XVIe

0
Brundledonk

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 6,256
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonD
Yes so that means I can order the "B" cockpit and have it accurate. Which is in stock, excellent!
Now to wait for the fundage. lol
The Aries A was out of stock, probably because the B is the current pit as per the kit. Anyway, the pit is in the basket. lol

Crikey, that just kicked the shopping basket back over 500 bucks! lol
Expensive habit, this one.


I'm going to have a look to see what markings are available for an early "A" cat from Hannants, if they are not too expensive I will see if I can get something, a high vis Tomcat in grey over white would be nice, I can then just leave off the modern additions, the gun vents will still be wrong but I can live with that, I would love one in early jolly rogers markings

Pete
0
SimonD

Avatar / Picture

Group Captain
Registered:
Posts: 2,523
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brundledonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonD
Yes so that means I can order the "B" cockpit and have it accurate. Which is in stock, excellent!
Now to wait for the fundage. lol
The Aries A was out of stock, probably because the B is the current pit as per the kit. Anyway, the pit is in the basket. lol

Crikey, that just kicked the shopping basket back over 500 bucks! lol
Expensive habit, this one.
I'm going to have a look to see what markings are available for an early "A" cat from Hannants, if they are not too expensive I will see if I can get something, a high vis Tomcat in grey over white would be nice, I can then just leave off the modern additions, the gun vents will still be wrong but I can live with that, I would love one in early jolly rogers markings Pete


Yeah there is a set for the Jolly Rogers, I saw it last night  .. hang on ..
Yeah here, Microscale too so they should be quite good (I assume)
http://www.bnamodelworld.com/microscale/mi-ms32-236

I must admit I like the VF-41 Black Aces decals too, but I'll stick with Tamiya.
http://www.bnamodelworld.com/microscale/mi-ms32-240


__________________

Cheers, Simon.

On the bench:
Tamiya 1:32 F-4J Phantom "Marines"
Tamiya 1:32 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XVIe

0
SimonD

Avatar / Picture

Group Captain
Registered:
Posts: 2,523
Reply with quote  #29 
Well I've spent the last 24 hours or so researching this kit, my head hurts somewhat, and there is certainly a consensus amongst the rivet counters. It's a great kit but....., you have to put some extra work into it.

I want to build a great kit for sure, and am tossing around just how many mods I make to it to make it more accurate to the real thing. If I was to be completely 100% accurate I have to sand down all the raised panel lines and rescribe everything as the raised panel lines aren't accurate either. That's a little annoying and a bit beyond me at this point.
So I'll stick with rescribing what panel lines are there now, try and figure out what's missing where, and add them as necessary. I've seen the standard OOB F-14 finished and it still looks great. Great enough for me.

The consensus is the finished shape of the Tamiya kit is accurate, more than can be said for some of the 1:48 kits from certain manufacturers, apparently the Academy kit is FUBAR. So if you're thinking of buying that one, maybe do some research first? 

The Wolfpack design conversion set (to an F-14D) for this kit is a complete misfit and it's strongly advised to give that a wide berth. At this stage I'm sticking to the "A" version so that doesn't effect me anyway.

So I will be doing some scratchbuilding throughout this build. Quite extensively in places because I've seen the results and they are brilliant. If I can build to that standard.
And I am still thinking how to re-rivet the areas I am scribing. In case anyone has missed it I had started a thread in the help section here:
http://genessis-models.websitetoolbox.com/post/reriveting-7242141?trail=15#1
Any tips as how to effectively rivet a large scale plane would be appreciated.
I might have to just go over the entire plane with a ruler and a pin and do it one by one yet. There's an incredible build by Kai Wolter at http://www.combatedgeproductions.com that did that with his and the results are outstanding.

Anyway back to the build I did a bit of work on the weapons and fuel tanks yesterday but mainly rested and researched.
I'll post some pics when I've progressed a little more today maybe. I just thought it a good opportunity to pass some info about the kit and it's nuances to the real thing.

__________________

Cheers, Simon.

On the bench:
Tamiya 1:32 F-4J Phantom "Marines"
Tamiya 1:32 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XVIe

0
Brundledonk

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 6,256
Reply with quote  #30 
I also have seen some amazing builds of this kit, and I've noticed a couple of peculiarities, on the nose section (spurious panels on the nose and odd panel lines on the fuselage)
Im not too worried about the panel lines but I think the intakes need a little work as there isn't any tunnels to speak of once they are glued on. The engine face just sits inside
And it looks really odd, I havent really given any thought to how to fix it yet, maybe thin plastic sheet could be used to make some liners ?
as you have said the overall shape is pretty accurate, and this kit is a perfect base to go nuts with extra detail.

Sorry I missed your thread regarding the rivets, I have a couple of tools for this, one is a riveting wheel made by Trumpeter, it's a little flimsy but does work, and comes with a few different sized wheels, the main downside to this tool is that the rivet holes it makes are square.
The second tool I have is from Model Design Construction (MDC) and comprises of a wooden handle and a selection different sized metal rods that fit into it, you simply push the end of the tool into the plastic to form the rivet, it also comes with a couple of brass etched templates that give you different rivet spacings, it's a time consuming job to use but it gives you perfectly round recessed rivets. MDC supply these tools for 1/48 and 1/32 do you need to order the right one

Pete
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.